There's no time to waste...here are my best (last minute) steps for adoptive & foster parents to a more peaceful holiday.
1. Believe that it is possible.
2. Have an expectation of change.
3. Create a smaller "world" - the size your adopted or foster child can succeed at (in every way). "Within eyesight" is a good measurement. This is NOT a punishment - this allows you to easily help your child regulate.
4. Never mess with food. Make sure it's plentiful, there is always something your child likes, they never want for it...it is the basis of life and survival.
5. Know that the holidays trigger grief and loss for many adopted & foster children...honor that even, if it doesn't look like you think it should.
6. Keep transitions to a minimum.
7. "Paint of picture" of how things are going to go.
8. Let your expectation be a NEUTRAL holiday as the next step. Baby Steps!
9. Build your child a safe out. Help your child be able to decompress in a socially acceptable way, whether at your house or someone else's. Some ideas are planned quiet locations, a bag of things to work on at a location you choose, a book or music with headphones to use to be able to check out for a bit, snacks, even divert others away for a bit.
10. Have HOPE for the future (your child's and yours) - the future moment, hour, day and year!
There's only a couple of days left so start tweaking your plan RIGHT NOW so that it includes these 10 steps and you will feel the shift!
You CAN do this. I'm here cheering you on every day!
We are ABSOLUTELY in this together,
P.S. Having this kind of intentional plan is what makes the difference. Join my Intentional Parent Coaching Group and get YOUR PLAN activated. The new year can be a year of breakthroughs!
Don't wait, this is the PERFECT TIME. Your first 30 days are 50% off when you sign up before Dec 31st. Get started NOW! http://www.tohavehope.com/intentional-parent-coaching-group.html